Charoite

Other Names:
Origin of Name: It’s name originates from the Siberian river Chara
Meaning of the Stone:
Classification: semi-precious
Family: silicate mineral
Region: Russia, Yakuita Siberia (it is found in only one region)
Color: light to dark purple, violet, sometimes blue-purple
Transparency: Translucent
Fracture: Conchoidal
Hardness (Gravity): 5-6(2.54-2.68)
Crystal System: Monoclinic
Similar Minerals: sugilite

1. Legend and History:

Charoite, which it’s name derives from the river Chara in Siberia,Russia, is a semi-precious gemstone which has been used for the creation of artifacts since the 1950’s, thus having a fairly recent history. Many beautiful charoite vases have been found on the market, although the majority, of precious vases, created in Russia are still kept away as family artifacts.
Charoite is however believed to have certain healing and legendary powers, such as the ability to cleanse and purify ones energy, whilst also getting rid of negative energy existing in the body.
In addition it is believed to enhance ones self-esteem accelerate spirituality and improve the ability to love.

2. Origin in nature and use:

Charoite is found only in Russia, and more specifically in the Murun deposit of Yakutia, in Siberia,Russia, where it is found around a ten kilometer radius in alkaline veins. 90 percent of the gemstone is pure charoite whilst the remaining 10 percent is a mix of ore and metal. The most common cut used is that of cabochon, but charoite is also popular in the creation of sculptures and other household decorations, i.e vases, ornaments.

4. Interesting Facts:

Charoite did not become known to the Western world until 1978; before that it was purely used in Russia.

5. Care and Storing:

This marvelous gemstone must be kept safe from bumps and hits, and also away from relatively harder gemstones as it is easily damaged and cracked. Cleaning is recommended with warm water, soap and a soft brush.


Interested in attending our show as a buyer or exhibitor?


JOGS Tucson Gem and Jewelry Show is one of the leading Jewelry events in North America for all jewelry industry professionals and it is one of the key jewelry markets in the world. JOGS Tucson Show brings together intercontinental manufacturers and wholesalers of jewelry, showcasing new designs and new ideas. Exhibitors bring the best selection and largest stocks to choose from. Gem dealers and miners bring their best rough materials, cabs, best quality of cut stones, minerals and new discoveries from Russia, Brazil, USA, Thailand, India, Madagascar, Africa, Colombia, Australia, Canada, China and other countries, attracting gem hunters from around the world.


Contact Us:

Address: 3750 E. Irvington Rd., Tucson, AZ 85714
Billing Agent: 650 South Hill Street, Suite 513
Los Angeles, CA 90014, USA
Phone: (213) 629-3030
Fax: (213) 629-3434
Toll Free: 1-877-GEM-SHOW
Web: www.jogsshow.com

JOGS Show:

JOGS International Exhibits, LLC
3750 E.Irvington Road
Tucson, AZ 85714